I like to treat the kids to smoothies every now and then, but I can't bare to pay the price at restaurants/coffee shops or smoothie bars. SO - we make them at home. They are so simple to make, and EASY to customize to individual tastes.
Below you will find my base recipe:
1/4 cup frozen berries
1/2 cup yogurt *
1/2 cup orange juice**
Place all ingredients in a blender and puree until smooth. If it is too thick for your liking, add in more oj. Not thick enough, add in more banana or yogurt.
*any flavour of yogurt can be used, I generally use vanilla because that is what we normally have on hand
**any flavour of juice can be used, I use OJ because I like the flavour
- pineapple (gives a somewhat exotic taste, but not enough for a picky eater to know the difference)
- omit juice altogether
- crushed ice will give it a slushier texture
- any type of fruit will do - we love the taste combination of banana, orange and berries
- spinach (yes, a great way to get their greens into them - BUT some people do not tolerate the spinach/dairy combination - I learned the hard way with my son)
- protein powder can be added, or a carnation instant breakfast
- for a less healthier option, you could use real frozen yogurt (the dessert kind) instead of regular yogurt
As you can see, you can pretty much turn anything into a smoothie - healthier than a milkshake but still a sweet treat!