Friday, May 14, 2010

fun times in pregnancy

This is probably going to be too much information for some, so if you are squeamish or don't want to hear about girly issues - STOP reading now.

Yesterday I had some bright red bleeding when I went to the washroom. Morgan had Julien at the park, so when they got back I asked her to stay with Jules for a few hours. So, off to triage J and I went.

WE got there, and I got registered. They couldn't find my chart from my last pregnancy (to be fair, they are under construction and everything is scattered all over the place)  I get taken into triage (but, they were full so we were taken back to the birthing suites - at least it was private!)

The nurse checks my BP and hooks me up to the fetal monitor (baby was moving around quite a bit heartrate was steady!)

They did bloodwork and when it came back the resident came in to see me. She was pretty nice, and said that most cases of bleeding cannot be explained - but that they would have a look anyways. So, the nurse comes in with a huge flashlight, they tell me to get into the position, and in goes the speculum. It was uncomfortable, then, the resident has her head between my legs and the nurse is shining the flashlight up my who-ha - oh the fun - you really have NO dignity when your pregnant.

So, my cervix is closed (great news) and she sees a bump on the top of it. She had told me that sometimes a vein, or a clump of cells will burst - so that seems to be the case.  She wanted the OB on call to come and check just to be sure, and so the whole flashlight scenario begins again - except this time the resident is holding it and I have TWO heads looking inside.

They were glad to find the reason for the bleeding, since it is harmless - light duties and no heavy lifting for a few days (and apparently doing the laundry is bad for me, and J was told to take that over - ha!  )  Then the nurse starts asking me questions about prenatals etc. I haven't been taking them because they make me ill, and on top of morning sickness it's not fun - she looks like she is about to give me a lecture, when the OB tells me that she didn't take them either. The nurse tries telling me to take it at night, and the OB agrees with me that when you suffer from morning sickness, sometimes taking a tiny pill like diclectin is difficult, and so getting the HUGE prenatals is practically impossible. They were happy to hear that I generally take my folic acid though.

The nurse went over the policies of the mother/baby unit so that when I do give birth I know that only 2 ppl are allowed to be with me (and no changing, it MUST be the same 2). And that everyone else must wait at home until called. Grandparents are allowed to visit for 10 minutes outside of visiting hours if the baby is born, otherwise only between 4 and 8pm.

So, that was my fun filled evening - but, it wasn't so bad - in and out in 3 hours. Its nice not having to go through the emergency department!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from my readers, feel free to leave me a comment! (Comment Moderation is enabled, it will be published after approval)