I think everyone can agree that things break down and repairs or replacement of appliances often happen when the money just isn't there. When my Jeep broke down for the second time and we had to put the repairs on our credit card I got serious with our short term savings. I started transferring a small amount of money off every paycheque and leaving it in my savings account. I hated the feeling of being stuck.
That being said, I know that many are in the position I found myself in with my jeep. If you find yourself in need of some quick cash to replace an appliance or make a home repair, these tips might help you:
- go through your closet and consign any clothing that you don't wear
- find all the outgrown sports equipment (skates, cleats, helmets etc) that your kids have no use for anymore and sell them at a consignment store or through a buy/sell/trade group
- clean out the toy room and sell anything that isn't getting played with anymore
- find a 2nd job (not immediate money, but it can help to start a savings account)
- shovel snow or cut grass - you can advertise on local facebook groups