When holidays arrive, I like to make themed treats with/for the kids. However, I find myself often ending up putting it off, and then the time arrives and nothing is made. I went to the grocery store this morning to pick up stuff for their Easter baskets and egg hunt in the morning (side note - the BEST time to go to the grocery store is when they first open. They opened at 6am today - I arrived at 625 and only saw 2 other shoppers the entire time I was in the store).
While I was there I decided that I would make some chocolate nests. They are so easy to make, and only take a few minutes. BONUS: since they are so simple, it's a great treat to get the kids involved with!
Simple Chocolate Nests
What you need:
- mini eggs
- rice cereal (approx 2 cups)
- baking chocolate (approx 1 cup)
- I used chocolate chips, but any kind of melting chocolate would work
- melt chocolate
- using a double boiler is best, but you can use the microwave if you prefer - just be careful not to scorch it
- pour melted chocolate over rice cereal and mix until combined
- drop chocolate and cereal mixture onto a parchment lined baking sheet in large spoonfuls
- place 2-3 mini eggs onto each nest
- place sheet in fridge for 10 minutes to set
Mr. K loved being able to help - his job was to place the mini eggs onto the nests - of course, somehow we ended up with some missing eggs....still not sure how that happened ;)
Sunday morning the Easter Bunny will have left their easter baskets and a small indoor egg hunt for them. In the afternoon we will head to my aunt and uncles house for a family dinner and then home to bed. I hope you have a wonderful Easter with your family!