Both kids are in school this year, and with the cake raffle approaching they couldn't decide on a cake that they wanted me to make. I decided to make two mini cakes instead of one regular cake. Mr. J wanted a Minecraft cake but Mr. K was unsure. We set to pinterest to search for cake raffle cakes and found one that had M&M's in the middle, and then the icing was topped with M&M's as well.
When I set to making the cake, I had lots of smarties so I used them instead.
Directions for smartie surprise cake:
- bake a 9*13 cake - you could bake in round pans, but I didn't have any the proper size (I used a vanilla base and then separated the batter into 4 bowls and tinted each a different colour. I then used a spoon to spread the batter throughout the pan, alternating between each colour for a tie dye effect)
- once cake is baked, allow to cool
- cut into 2 circles (I used 2 cereal bowls as cutters)
- freeze for a few hours so cake is easier to work with
- place one circle of cake on your cake board, hollow out a small portion of the inside (leave a base of cake, and approximately 1 inch around the side as well) place smarties inside
- spread a thin layer of frosting onto the bottom of your second cake round and place over top of the first
- frost your cake with your icing choice
- decorate with remaining smarties