I WANT to have a clean, clutter free home, but it just doesn't seem to happen. I will get everything done and organized, and then start slacking off - it's the STAYING organized I have trouble with.
Here are my 5 tips to help STAY organized:
1) Make sure everything has it's own place
- this is a big one for me - I often just don't know where to PUT things, so they get left lying around
2) Get into a habit
- make it a habit to put your coat in the PROPER spot everytime you come in the house, same with your purse, and mail and any packages you have. Don't move to something else until everything that came in the house is put away
3) Stop bringing STUFF home
- this is a hard one for me. It's not me bringing the "stuff" it's most often the kids. We don't have room for random finds and crap to hang around. I tend to "forget" about a lot of stuff in the car and then when they aren't around it goes into recycle (who needs plastic lids?)
4) Get some labels
- buy some labels and label drawers, cupboard shelves etc so that everyone knows where things go. If hubby emptys the dishwasher on fridays, and you do it on tuesdays and the kids do the rest, at least everyone knows where to put things properly. Same for groceries (if you want your pantry organized, have a spot for crackers, pasta, cookies, rice, condiments etc)
5) Set the timer
- have a timer set for 15 minutes (at the same time everyday if you can) and hit your hot spots during this time. Grab everything that doesn't belong and put it back. If you have everyone take part, you can probably tackle a lot more than you think
Now I need to start implementing these in my own home. I started reading a book by Marie Kondo, and it makes sense what she says about NOT going room to room, but by grouping things together. I just couldn't get into it though. Do you have any tips for me?