As a SAHM, I felt it was important for Julien to attend nursery school. I wanted him to be around other kids his age, and get a feel for what it was like with me not around.
I was quite certain that we would have issues at drop-off because he showed signs of separation anxiety - just when I left a room. Even if he knew I was going to the kitchen for a drink, he would scream and cry if I didn't bring him with me. Nursery school drop-off proved no different.
The first morning, they had to pry him off of me - while he screamed and cried. I told him I loved him, gave him a kiss, waved good bye and walked out the door. Yes, it was difficult to leave him like that, but I was given tips ahead of time that prepared me for that morning - and I am going to pass those on to you.
- don't sneak out without saying goodbye (as hard as it is, they need to KNOW you are leaving)
- tell them when you will be back (I always said after storytime, as that is when the parents came to p/u) but you could say after nap, snack etc...give them something in the routine that they can associate your arrival with)
- make it QUICK (the longer you linger, the longer they will be upset - tell them you love them, quick kiss, goodbye and LEAVE)
- DON'T come back in again, or it will prolong the process or start it over
- TRUST that you have made the right choice in daycare provider, and that they will be able to handle it
- if your worried- CALL the provider and ask how things went
- MAJORITY of children, calm down almost immediately after their parent leaves....
- you could give them a picture to keep in their pocket, so that they can look at it if they miss you too much
- don't be afraid to tell them that you will be missing them also, and that you will be thinking about them during the day
- remember, it may not resolve itself immediately (Julien cried at drop-off for 1.5 yrs) but the most important thing is that they are happy when you pick them up. If they don't want to leave, then you can bet they love the place.
Do you have any tips? did your child have issues at drop-off?